Darjeeling is renowned for its centers of educational excellence. It is to be said for the Schools of Darjeeling, as the alumni stand as models citizens. There are many famous Schools in Darjeeling, among the such Schools of Darjeeling are:


St.Paul’s School, Darjeeling

The origin and history of St.Paul’s School dates back to 1823 when Jon William Ricketts, a Prominent Anglo Indian leader of Bengal conduced the idea of unifying a public school meet the need of the growing Anglo-Indian population in Calcutta.

In 1862 Bishop Cotton founder of BCS, Simla visited Darjeeling and secured Jalpahar for a School.

In 1863 St.Poul’s School was again confronted with financial difficulties rendering it essential either merge it with another school or close it. However, fond memories of Archdeacon Corrie and Bishop Wilson mover Bishop Cotton to transfer the same school, with its name to Darjeeling in year 1863.

On this large Jalapahar estate St.Pauls opened sometime during 1864 with 31 boarders and a few day scholars withy the Rev.J.C. Enfield as Rector. The school now renovated-situated above at about 7600 feet above sea level- the highest school in the World then-began its new course of life.

In 1878 Mr. Richard Carter Rector of St.Pauls had received a new lease of life. New buildings a chapel –tennis court, cricket field were among the few new assets. A large mound Green Hill (presently Cotton Hall and Milman Hall) was a favourite place for viewing the cricket matches. By 1896 there were over 200 boarders.

Mr. Carter’s successor Rector E.A.Newaton took charge in 1898. He was a disciplinarian and a fine scholar. He also got constructed the two Eton fire courts in present existence. In 1909 he handed over charge to Rector E.E.Bendon.

The Lefroy Hospital was occupied in 1914 and the Lyon Hall in 1915. The ole school was demolished giving place to the present day lower field. In 1920 the Chapel was demolished to make room for Westcott Hall due to liberal donations by the Maharaja of Burdwan. In 1921 saw Mr. Benson bedridden and thus replaced by Rector F.V. Dawkins, who was in 1928 replaced by Rector R.L.Pellei. In 1933 leballing of ground for the new Chapel began, but ill health of Mr.Pelley saw the coming of the “Goddard Era” with Mr. Goddard L.J.

In 1963 Saw the retirement of Mr. Goddard and a new era began with Mr.D.S.Giabbs in 1964.

In 1971 was the year of War-probably the worst year in the school’s history of Darjeeling Chapter. In spite of new developments the school was ridden by a terrible monsoon, water shortage and poor telephone and postal services.Mr.Gibbs laid emphasis on the moulding of character and personality and brought about a remarkable all round improvement of the school. However, for personal reasons he retired to England in 1972.


Loretto Convent, Darjeeling

On 10th October 1846, Sisters of the Irish Branch of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, commonly known as the Loretto nuns arrived in Darjeeling from Calcutta. Within a few weeks of their arrival the Sisters opened a school with provisions for residential and day-pupils. The school celebrated one hundred and fifty years of dedicated service to education in Darjeeling in October 1996. Famous past-pupils include Shri Aurobindo, who was admitted as small boy, the actress Vivien Leigh, the princess of Bhutan and the King of Nepal. For many years, the novitiate of the Indian Branch of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary was situated in Darjeeling and Mother Teresa made her novice ship here from 1921 to 1931.


St.Joseph’s College, Darjeeling

St.Joseph’s College is a minority Catholic educational institution owned and managed by the Darjeeling Jesuits of North Bengal. The College was first opened on February 13, 1888 at a place locally known as Sunny Bank in Darjeeling town. There were eighteen boarders and seven day scholars on the rolls. Numbers soon increased and the need was felt for more ample grounds. Extensive property was procured by Fr.Henry Depelchin SJ, the founder, on the town limits at North Point. The laying of foundation stone at North Point took place on April 27, 1890 and on February 18, 1892 the new building received the first North Pointers. In 1899 the student body consisted of 193 boys. Towards the end of 1908, the dear and devoted friend of the college, Sir Andrew Fraser, who had by his action on several occasional attested to his great

esteem for St.Joseph’s community, bestowed a gift of Rs.21,000 on the college as a final pledge of his sincere affection. This money was used to close in the quadrangle completely. With this the number of students increased to 290. In 1947, the year of Independence, the number reached 422, including ninety-three university students. Changes in the school department were dramatic. There was a steady increase in the numbers of day scholars. More striking was the growing international character of the school. An international student body was not new at North Point. There had always been a scattering of French and German boys from Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal and Burma. In 1954 twenty-eight nationalities could be found in the college, including staff.

In sports North Point continued to capture more the its share of honours.The old war-cry “The Blues, they never lose” may not have been literally true, but St.Joseph’s College remained, as always a very hard team to beat, In 1943 the Edinburgh Shield was back again in the College parlor after an absence of three years. In a description of a hockey match played on the college ground in 1947, the finals of the Pliva Shield Tournament, we read, “No one who saw the hillside packed with faces anxious to watch the match between Goethals and St.Joseph’s on September 17th could have a doubt that hockey is the hill-men’s favourite”. On this occasion North Point won the Pliva for the eighth time since its inception in 1933.

There was one North Point tradition that did not fade. The College had always been noted for its beautiful garden and the nineteen fifties were its golden age. Bro Udovc was in his prime and year captured the lion’s share of the prizes at the 18th Darjeeling flower show in 1952.

The adventures courses offered by the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute on Birch Hill were another innovation. From 1970 onwards, every year in the first week of February, the boys who were about to begin their senior year return for a three-week course in mountaineering under the guidance of experienced instructors.


Dr. Graham’s Homes, Kalimpong

Nestling in the side of thickly wooded Deolo Hill at an elevation of 4,600 ft. and overlooking the town of Kalimpong to the south, is the picturesque estate of Dr.Graham’s Homes originally named St.Andrew’s Colonial Home. To the north, lie the majestic Himalayas dominated by the eternally snow-clad peak of Kanchanjunga (8560 Mts.) a mere 60 km.distant, and the boarders of Sikkim, Bhutan and Tibet.

The Homes, as they stand today, cover an area of almost 500 acres and include a school, farm, workshop, stores and clothing department catering for the needs of over 650 children and 100 members of the staff.

The founder, the Rev. Dr. John Anderson Graham felt the need for providing care and training for destitute E Eurasian and Anglo-Indian children, who under the appalling circumstances prevailing at the time, appeared doomed to a most miserable existence, with no hope for the future. It was with this thought in mind and the vision and enthusiasm of a born pioneer that Graham of Kalimpong took into his care six small children. These were housed in a rented building some distance from the present site.

The date September 24th,1900 a day that has meant everything to some 7,000 children who have passed through these Homes in the 90 years of its existence.

It was from this humble beginning that Dr.Graham embarked on the project of constructing and developing the institution we now know as Dr.Graham’s Homes-so renamed in memory of our founder who died on May 15th, 1942.


Dow Hill, Kurseong

Teachers of both the schools are recruited through WB Public Service Commission. Both boys and girls are in Dow Hill School from KG till class IV. Thereafter, it is only for the girls. The other school is for boys and from class V. Both the schools have hostel facility. While tution fees are not needed in Govt. schools, moderate fees for boarding facilities are charged and the amount is less than half of what is required in other schools of the category.


Victoria Boys' School , Kurseong

These two schools, established in 1879, are among the old schools in the country. But they are unique in many respects. They are the only schools under the Government of West Bengal, which are affiliated to ICSE.


Army School

RKSP Boys' High School

Jalapahar
+91 354 2256313

Hooker Road
+91 354 2252714

Bethany School

St Joseph's School (North Point)

Gandhi Road
+91 354 2252744

Singmari
+91 354 2270251

Mount Hermon School

St Paul's School

Singamari
+91 354 2270255/2270221

Jalapahar
+91 354 2252334/2256332

Loreto Convent

Loreto College

18, Lebong Cart Road
+91 354 2252059/2255739

Mall
+91 354 2254238

Darjeeling Government College

St Joseph's College

18 Lebong Cart Road
+91 354 2254019

(University Department)
Singamari
+91 354 2270205

Dow Hill School

Victoria Boys' School

Kurseong
+91 354 2332253/2332265

Kurseong
+91 354 2332250/2332288

 
Home